Image Map

Monday, March 31, 2014

World Autism Awareness Day

LIGHT IT UP BLUE!

How have you been touched by autism?  My story began in the fall of 1998.  My college roommate asked me if I would be interest in working with a beautiful, eight-year old girl with a diagnosis of ASD.  Since my major was communicative disorders, I thought it would be a great experience and an awesome resume builder.  But the experience was far more than that.  She touched my life.  She gave me purpose for what I did.  She molded my future in working with children with ASD.

My little "sunshine," as I call her, had no more than approximately 25 unintelligible words to communicate her basic wants and needs.  She had frequent tantrums of frustration along with physical and aggressive outbursts.  Community outings were stressful and unpredictable.  Daily activities such as getting dressed, brushing her teeth, getting herself a snack were carried out by her mom and dad.  The list could continue, but it's not necessary.  You get the idea.

My "sunshine" was surrounded by four therapists who spent 20+ hours a week with her.  We worked with her amazingly supportive parents, brother, and school.  We set clear expectations with visual schedules.  We provided consistent routines.  We practiced going out in the community.  We developed a friendship with her.  We developed a friendship with her parents.  She became a part of us.  A part of me.

In spring of 2001, I had to leave my "sunshine" and her family for graduate school.  Many tears were shed and hugs exchanged.   She had grown so much, using two-three word phrases.  Getting her own snacks.  Getting herself ready in the morning and before bedtime.  Getting groceries and making trips to  get ice cream.  She was finding her voice.

With the help of social networking, I have watched my "sunshine" grow up.  Go to prom.  Visit her favorite place…Disney World (and ride in an airplane)!  My "sunshine" did not help build my resume.  She helped me to grow as a speech-language pathologist with a passion for working with children with ASD, and more importantly, she helped me to grow as a person.

My "sunshine" drew a picture for me over 15 years ago.  That picture is proudly displayed in my classroom as a reminder of why I do what I do.



Wednesday, April 2nd is World Autism Day.  Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is characterized by difficulty with social interaction, communication, and repetitive behaviors.  Autism Speaks reports that 1 in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls in the United States are diagnosed with ASD.  Nearly everyone is impacted, in some way, by ASD.  We feel strongly about raising awareness of what ASD is, is not, and what  that means for families and communities that support people with Autism Spectrum Disorders.  In the Twin Cities, Susanna Moses (a parent and author) came to a local news station Sunday to share One Parent's Story.

This year, we are giving teacher's this information to share with their class, and asking them to show the following video of Drew Elliot, an eight-year old boy who wanted nothing more than a friend to wear half of his "Best Friends" necklace.  When thirteen construction workers overheard him telling his mom that no one wanted to wear it, they did something beautiful that has turned into a world-wide phenomenon.   View the story here: Drew's Elliot's Necklaces

Autism Speaks offers many ways that you can "Light It Up Blue: for World Autism Day:
- Incorporate blue into your clothes beginning April 2 and throughout the month of April
- Ask your friends, family, and co-workers to wear blue, too.  Take a photo and upload it to Light It Up Blue community photo gallery
- Use blue light bulbs for your front porch light or outdoor lights (The Home Depot or homedepot.com carries three blue bulbs manufactured by Philips: 25W incandescent, 100W indoor/outdoor flood  lamp, 13W CFL)
- Host a blue-themed dinner party
- Download the free Light It Up Blue iPhone app to add your photos   http://www.autismspeaks.org/LIUB and see all the participating buildings
- Change your Facebook profile picture to the Light It Up Blue logo and tag as many of your friends as you can
- Download the Autism Speaks Community Toolkit as a resource for staff and students 
- Wear blue hat day – charge classmates $1 to wear blue hats to school on April 2 (or any day in the month of April)

Please check back throughout the month of April for more info, apps and ideas in honor of Autism Awareness and Check out our FREEBIE on TpT!  Autism Fact or Myth Quiz


No comments:

Post a Comment