Image Map

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Word Clouds

I have found the use of word clouds to be a powerful tool for my students who struggle to find meaning from a text. It is a great visual strategy that combines art with vocabulary. I find it really pulls my students in and gets them excited with what we are doing.

What is a Word Cloud? 


Well a word cloud is a visual way of organizing text into a picture. The bigger the word the more frequently it was used in the text. This makes common ideas or themes from a text easy to spot for older students. Here is how I have used them:


All about Me Poems: 

I have students think of their own describers for themselves and then have the students put it in a word cloud.


Making Predictions:

Here is one I created for Goldilocks and the Three Bears to show elementary students before reading the story to make predictions about what it might be about.


Here is one from  a news article to help with prediction:



Teaching Vocabulary:

Here is one with Earth Day vocabulary that I will have my students look at and then we can discuss the words they know and those they want to know.


Comparing/Contrasting:

Compare two characters from a book. Have students look up character traits and describe characters. Share with the group to compare and contrast. These examples are of Percy Jackson and his friend Annabeth. 


Summarizing: 

 I have students use these to create a quick summary of the text they read by copying the text from their ipad into a word cloud app, then have them describe the key points they notice. The bigger words are the most frequently used.

Inferencing:  

Make an inference game with common describer words. Have students guess the animal or object.


Here are some other helpful resources:


No comments:

Post a Comment