Image Map

Thursday, June 5, 2014

The End of Another Year

Tomorrow is it.  The students will have completed another year of school.  I am so, so, so ready to wrap up the paperwork, finish packing up my room, grab a few random supplies I may need over the summer, and then turn in my keys.


But this year, more than any other year, I find myself reflecting on what I did, and I wonder, did I really make a difference?  Did I do enough?  What could I have done better?  It has been a year full of more "unexpectedness" than any of my previous 10 years, but I wouldn't change a thing.  I have learned so much:

1.  Students are excited to LEARN if you are excited to TEACH.

2.  Students WILL learn if they know you genuinely care.  Words are not enough.  You must show them.

3. You can't "save" every student, but you can try EVERY SINGLE DAY.

4. Never, ever, ever, underestimate the importance of each second you spend with students.  You have no idea which one will make the difference.

5. I have one of the most important jobs in the world.  I am honored.

6. Kids are amazing. Period.

7.  I work with one of the most talented, committed, and kind-hearted speech-language pathologists…ever.

8. I learned to trust and assume good intentions of my colleagues.  It was far from easy, but it has helped me to grow professionally as well as the relationships I have with them.

9.  You can't be everyone's friend no matter how hard you try.

10. Change is hard.  Change is constant, but how you work through it impacts its outcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment