Image Map

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Building A Sensory Bin For Calming

After 12 years of speech and language therapy, I am jumping into the role of the ASD teacher for the middle school students who require substantial support (DSM-V).  I'm super excited but ridiculously nervous. I've been working with this fantastic group of students for the last three years, and I'm thrilled that I can continue working with them, but it's going to be a big transition.  Wait.  Let me try that again.  It's going to be a HUGE transition and a definite learning experience for me.  My mind races as night thinking about everything I could be doing to prepare for the fall, but then I remind myself that I need to enjoy my summer; the craziness of work will be here before I know it.

It's the little things that I can do to help alleviate some of my anxiety, so I started started putting together a  sensory bin for the calming area in my room. (Anything checked off my monstrous list of "things to do" is helpful!)  I have the staples: puffer balls, puzzles, stringing buttons, and and silly putty.  During my trip to Target last week, I found several items on clearance and decided to add them.  I'm excited about the BRAIN BUILDERS!  The students can choose from 40 different pictures and manipulate 20 sticks to look like the pictures.

I decided to trade in the smooth, glass stones for the real thing that you can find at any craft store.  I drew faces on them to create CALMING ROCKS.  I plan on letting the students chose their own.  It was so easy but added a more personalized touch.  I tried to draw each one with a particular student in mind, but we'll see how well I did when September rolls around.

I just ordered a JELIKU yesterday for $6.50.  I love that it's a small puzzle that students can manipulate to create whatever!  Check out the YouTube video below for a quick view of the possibilities of Jeliku.  There are several other videos that show how students create different animals, buildings, etc.  



BOINKS ($12.95 for a 6-pack) are small pieces of material, sealed on each end securing a marble that can be moved around for calming or focus.  They are small, approximately 3.5" long, and are machine washable!


WACKY TRACKS ($4.00) is something I own for myself!  They come in a variety of colors and can be added to.  Just bend, form, and move!


I haven't purchased any of the next few items yet, but they are on my "wish list," and here's why!

LIQUID MOTION BUBBLER ($4.99 each) can be used as a timer or relaxation and calming.  It is small in size, so it is mobile (2" X 5.75") and can easily be placed on a table, desk, or in a bin for storage.  I can see myself using this with some calming music!  
EMOTIONS PUTTY ($7.99 each) changes color.  It's also Gluten, Casein, Latex, and Soy free.  There are two different kinds: Calming Putty and Energizing Putty.  The Calming Putty changes color when it's being played with or cooled, while the Energizing Putty has a metallic sparkle.

I'm curious what you use in your room! 





No comments:

Post a Comment