Image Map

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Gingerbread House Descriptive Writing

With winter break is looming, the students' attention span is low but their energy level is high.  It's always a hard time to stay focused and not get distracted by the newly fallen snow and the holidays.   

The other night, I was watching a YouTube video with my daughter.  We were both intrigued by the person's drawing ability, and I really wanted to try it.  I didn't exactly know how I would find the time until it hit me on Friday morning after losing my PREP time to a meeting:  Take a vote on one of the drawing videos, and then write a descriptive paragraph about it.

I knew the idea would be a bit "risky" in my room; the students would love the drawing part, which had to happen first, but would they would through with the writing piece that followed?  I lifted up a few prayers, and they must have been answered because the activity was a HUGE success!

First, we took a vote: draw a Christmas tree or a gingerbread house.  The vote was nearly unanimous in favor of the gingerbread house.  (I silently cheered since the gingerbread video was the shorter one by far.)  I gave each student a piece of paper and a marker. (Many of the students in my room are perfectionists, so it was important that they did not get to use a pencil because the time spent correcting their pictures would have been insane!)  You can watch the video here:


I was so impressed with their drawings.  Even the students who have fine motor difficulty persevered!  Next, gave the students a set amount of time to add color to their pictures.  Then, it was time to hand out the graphic organizers.  
The students were given a list of four items we would be looking for in their brought draft.  We asked the students to brainstorm, and work through it the best they could.  (Writing is so, so challenging for the students, so we were very impressed when they gave it their all!)  After having a one-on-one conference with each student, we gave them a sheet for their final draft.
Finally, we shared them with the other students and hung them outside of our room.  I was so proud of the students for their perseverance with the activity. 

We'd love for you to share your holiday activities to keep students engaged before break!

No comments:

Post a Comment