Image Map

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Creating A Calming Plan

This school year is going to be crazy.  It's going to be good.  It's going to be crazy good!  I know that I am going to learn so much as I transition from speech-language to a center-based ASD  program.  I'll be using every single tool I have in my tool box and relying on my fantastic colleagues.  I was becoming so overwhelmed with where to start, so I will be starting with this...
I want to start of the year being proactive.  I have an area in my room designated for relaxation and calming.  There is also a larger room right across the hallway for students to access at any time just for calming.  (I will get pictures posted in the next several weeks.  The other ASD teacher and I are working like crazy to get our new rooms set up!)  These areas will be marked by this sign:
Consistency is key!  We are asking the teachers to find a small area (a desk, a carpet square, whatever is available) to post this same sign.  We want the students to know that it is not a negative area but a place for them to self regulate and refocus.

What are they going to do when they are in their calming area?  Well, it depends on several factors including the antecedent and the level of escalation.  (The goal is ALWAYS to support students before the problem can't be resolved with a calming break. ) That being said, I am focusing on the problems or situations that can be supported with a calming plan.  It's simple, personalized, and so important!

During the first week of school, I will be demonstrating nine different calming strategies.  I have created a poster with 1-4 step directions on how to complete each one.  

The students will have the opportunity to try each strategy and rate it on a scale of 1-5.
Based on the students' rating, they will be able to select the strategies that work best for them including one breathing strategy, one pressure strategy, and an additional component.  Using small icons, they will place them on a small visual support with velcro, making sure that the visual support is not too distracting.
These supports are approximately 1/3 of an sheet of paper so that they are big enough for the students to manipulate but not too big to draw attention.  Some of the students who participated in my social skills class last year used several of the strategies, and they were very helpful.  With enough practice, they were able to use a visual support and use them when becoming agitated.  They sometimes needed a directive to take a calming break, which is why I will also be using calming cards:

I will be giving the classroom teachers these cards as well, again for consistency.

I am so excited to get this activity started with my students...AFTER I finish enjoying my last three weeks of summer break!  You can find it here at our TPT store.

If you would like to win a copy, please enter by leaving a comment below! (What calming strategy have you found to be the most helpful for your students?)





1 comment:

  1. Our school is lucky to have an OT or an OTA in the building most of the time so we are able to pick their brains regarding calming activities. When trained by these ladies, the use of the net swing has proven to be successful. If not the swing, "heavy" work is also beneficial.

    ReplyDelete