Image Map

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Ridiculously Fun: R and F

R and F, and by that I don't mean radio frequency,  rheumatic fever, right field, or River Falls (my alma mater.)  Just simply R and F, our next set of letters.  And let me tell you, we had a ridiculously amount of fun learning!


We started learning each letter by identifying upper and lower-case letters using our letter book and animal alphabet letter books.  Then we were on to our activities.

  • Princess Treasure Search - I struck gold with this last minute idea.  (Sorry, lame pun.)  I had some left over felt from a previous project, so I cut out small eye patches, punched holes in the upper left and right corners, and tied string through each one.  I grabbed a few pieces of construction paper and cut out circles (i.e. treasure), wrote the upper and lower-case R on each one, and hid them around the living room and dining room.  I used a box full of princess clothes  as a treasure box (after I removed the clothes, of course), but you could use almost any type of container or box.  I just took the easy way out so I didn't have to decorate it.  As soon as she got up from her nap, we put on the "queen" and "princess" eye patches and set off to find the R treasure.  Everything went smoothly except for one small detail; it was hard to search for treasure with only one eye!
  • Dancing Raisins - This idea is everywhere, but it's so easy!  All you need is a clear glass, clear soda like 7-Up or Sprite (we had Ginger Ale on hand.), and raisins.  We also used Orzo just to add something else.  (Rice would have been better since it starts with an R but we were out and figured finding the R in Orzo would suffice.)  We dropped the raisins in the soda, and PRESTO!  Dancing raisins! 


(Watch this video if the suspense is getting the best of you.)


  • Fruit Flag - Yum.  That about sums up this activity!  
         I sliced the strawberries and bananas, and then put them, along 
         with the blueberries, into separate bowls.  I used a cheap, plastic 
         serving tray to place the fruit on and used wooden skewers to 
         separate the "stripes" of the flag so that they were more defined for 
         my daughter.  (I had to trim the skewers to make them fit, but they 
         were thin enough to cut.) 
          (Sorry about the quality of the pictures…photography is not my 
          forte!)
          Finally, the flag was finished and it was snack time.  I would have 
          taken an "after" picture, but there was nothing left! 
  • Fireworks - I found this idea on Pinterest and actually got so carried away, that I forgot to snap any pictures of it!  This picture is from Michelle at CraftyMorning.   I wanted to show you what a simple and entertaining activity this is for kids.

          All you need is tape, bendable straws, paint, and paper.  Check out 
          Michelle's website (listed above) for a more detailed explanation of 
          this activity.  She has many more wonderful ideas, too, browse her 
          site if you have time.
  • Fridays with Firefighters -  One of the local community fire stations holds "Fridays with Firefighters" during the summer from 10:30 to noon every Friday during the summer.  It's a free program that teaches kids and parents about fire prevention and safety.  Families are able to see inside a fire truck, talk to firefighters, spray a fire house, and learn about safety.  As if that isn't a treat in and of itself, frozen treats are available at the end of the visit!  A HUGE thanks to all that these men and women do!

We chose to read The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter and The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister to work on identifying the R and F letters and sounds, and there was no shortage of finding these letters in the books!  I can't help but love this time of our day.  Sometimes it's not about the letters and language but more about the cuddles.  


No comments:

Post a Comment