Image Map

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Street Smarts App Review

A new app from by Special Appucations Inc. just came out last week called "Street Smarts" to assist students with autism learn simple steps to follow if they would get lost in a store. It is 1.99 at the app store and I bought it today because several students I work with could be vulnerable to getting lost in a busy store. So many of my students are not aware of their environment even if they appear to be high functioning. I am sharing about this app because I think all kids need to learn about what to do if lost, not just those in my social skills groups.

When I first went looking for it I noticed there are about 3-4 other apps that are also named similarly so I am posting a picture of the icon for you.



1. Getting Started:  I must say this app is really straight forward, and both kid and parent friendly. When you first get into the app, you have the option to create a profile for your child or go to the parents section that has help instructions and tips about how to further help your child learn. Open Screen shot is below:

 


2. Student Lessons:  


When you are ready, click on "Lets start Kids" and the interactive learning will begin. Through video scenarios, students are given three simple steps when they are lost. They Include: Shout out for your parent, Locate a cashier, and Tell them you are lost. This app also has several different videos to help students learn through repetition. Then after each video, the student is given three yes/no questions about the steps to generalize their learning.




When they get an answer right Morton Monkey congratulates your student!




The Parent Section also includes data tracking and lessons and tips for carryover of this knowledge.



As I said very straight forward and put simply so kids can learn it easily. I plan to use it this summer with a few of my students. Hope you find this app review helpful! I know we always strive to teach useful things in our speech room and this is no exception.


No comments:

Post a Comment