Image Map

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Preparing for a Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy

Tomorrow.  Finally.  Those stinkin' tonsils and adenoids will be gone, and  I cannot wait.  Not mine, but my daughter's.  There is a part of me that is dreading the recovery process and seeing my little girl in pain, but I have to think long-term.  It's not a major surgery by any means, but it still requires general anesthesia.  I'm a mom.  I worry…a lot.  It seems to come with the territory.
Earlier this spring, my husband and I noticed our daughter always sounded like she had a cold (hyponasal) and on occasion, she sounded like she was talking through her nose (hypernasal).  She always breathed through her mouth (mouth breathing), but when we would ask if her she had a stuffy nose, she would wrinkle her nose and start sniffing quickly to show us that she had no nasal congestion.  

This summer during swimming lessons, we noticed our daughter's attention consistently waned, and she would have to be redacted by her instructors.  Any typical three-year-old needs redirection, but this just wasn't our daughter.   It broke our heart.  We wanted everyone to see the beautiful, little girl that we knew she was.  That very same night, I sat in her bedroom, watching her struggle to sleep.  She would quit breathing for 10+ seconds, gasp for air, reposition herself, and start the process over again.  For hours.  It was hard to watch, and even when I tried to reposition her, elevate her head, or whatever I could think of, nothing worked.  This same scenario happened night after night.  I took several videos on my phone over several weeks and then sat down to email our pediatrician.

Our pediatrician, who we LOVE, asked several questions, and after seeing less than one minute of the video, immediately stated, matter-of-factly, "She has obstructive sleep apnea."  Exactly as I thought (without the medical background, of course).  I was relieved.  She referred us to an ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat doctor/laryngologist), and a month later, we were scheduling surgery for a Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy (T & A).   

This week, I have been trying to figure out how to explain to our daughter what will be happening.  I don't want to scare her, but I don't want to blindside her either.  I feel like I'm walking a fine line.  I decided to share with her that her doctor is going to do some work in her throat so that she can breath better.  I told her that her throat will hurt for a while, but spun it so that she knew there would be lots of popsicles to eat.  We have talked about it every day, at least twice.  Now she says, "I know mommy.  You already told me that, remember?"  

So here I sit.  I should be sleeping, but I can't.  Maybe it's because I'm distracted by blogging.  Maybe it's because I've let myself stay up way too late over the summer.  Maybe it's because I'm worried about my little girl.  Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.  Whatever the reason, I want to provide a little bit more information about tonsils and adenoids.  I'll keep in short and sweet so you don't have to scroll through page after page of information.

What are tonsils and adenoids?
Tonsils are two masses of tissue that are found on both sides in the back of the throat, and adenoids are found behind the nose and soft palate (the roof of your mouth).  They are situated higher in the throat and cannot be seen without the use of an instrument.  Tonsils and adenoids function to trap bacteria and viruses from entering your body. 

What are signs of enlarged tonsils and/or adenoids?
- frequent ear infections
- sore throat
- difficulty swallowing
- difficulty breathing through the nose
- mouth breathing
- obstructive sleep apnea
- snoring
- bad breath

What should you do if you have concerns?
Contact your pediatrician who will then determine whether a referral to an ENT is necessary, who will then determine the proper care for your child.

What happens during a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy?
T & A surgery is one of the most common performed in the United States.  I have read on several different sites that more than 400,000 surgeries are performed each year.  General anesthesia is given, and the process should take anywhere from 20-30 minutes.  The tonsils and adenoids are removed through the mouth and then surgeon controls the bleeding.


What happens after surgery?
We haven't experienced this part yet, which is the part that I am NOT looking forward to.  Who would, right?  Nearly all of the sites I have read (and I have read a lot!) share that you will be with your child as he/she wakes up.  Your child will need to remain in the hospital for several hours to monitor his/her vitals and make sure they are stable.  Your child will also be encouraged to drink.  Most often children will go home the say day as surgery.  A few children will need to stay overnight for observation, especially if they are three or younger due to concerns with dehydration.  

What happens at home?
This part will definitely be a to-be-continued!

If you're looking for a little more information, KidsHealth offers a user-friendly resource with both audio and visuals. 

Additional Resources:




No comments:

Post a Comment