Image Map

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Two Free Apps for Voice Therapy

I had a colleague ask me if I had any good apps for Voice Therapy. I have voice clients in the schools rarely, but this year I have a few and with this trend I now have researched a few apps to help this group of kiddos. The two that I have trialed so far are:


Decibel 10th- It can turn your iPhone or iPad into a sound meter! What is great is that it can help voice clients to know exactly how loud their class is or how loud a concert or sporting event is. I pair Decibel 10th with some teaching using a Loudness Chart for comparison. Measuring the sound makes my students more aware of how loud their voice is when talking and shouting and this then has naturally led into conversations about how to use your voice effectively and when to preserve it. It is a free app and so far my students have loved using it. They report back how loud their weekend was or how loud reading class was and let me know the strategies they used instead of shouting.



Breathe2Relax is described as a portable stress management tool. Some of the features of this app about stress management are focused on adult clients, but it does have a nice video on diaphragm breathing under the "Show Me How" button, and  is able to time your breathing under the "Breathe" button. I like this app because it highlights the correct way to breathe to support the voice without strain. It has helped my students to learn the pacing of good breathe to reduce stess and stain on the voice.
These are my two picks for Voice Therapy Apps. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment