Image Map

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Eight Life Lessons I've Learned From Children Who Have ASD


For the last 16 years, I have had the privilege of working with children who have autism.  They have impacted me in ways I can't even begin to describe.  They have made me laugh and made me cry.  Made me proud and made me disappointed.  Made me dance for joy and made me throw my hands up in the air in frustration.  They have all left me with a memory,  like the child who

put a tack on his teacher's chair as an April Fool's Day prank
…greeted me with a beautiful smile instead of words
…calculated my weekend mileage 
…had a special "Aflac!" greeting for me every morning

and the list could go on and on and on.

These memories were made by students who have left their mark in my world.  Who have made it better by being in it.  Who have made an impression on me.  It has been a crazy, frustrating, wild, and inspiring ride.  It's been a ride that I could never have predicted no matter how many classes I took, research articles I read, workshops I attended, or hours of collaboration and planning I spent.  Nothing has taught me more than the kids themselves.  

Expect The Unexpected
I never know what is going to be said or done.  I never know how students will respond to me, to the lesson, or to others.   I have to stay on my toes.  It's predictably unpredictable!

Think Outside The Box
Just when I think I have thought of every possible avenue, I realize I missed something.  I need to think literally.  Think creatively.  Think differently.  What works one time may not work the second time.  It's a constant challenge that I'm up for.

Don't Take Myself Too Seriously
They don't, so why should I?  They know my purpose.  They do what they can when they can.  Their bad day doesn't define their overall success or my effectiveness as an SLP.

Celebrate The Little Things
If I go looking to help a child move mountains or even a hill, I may find myself making it no further than the top of a step.  Small successes are a big deal.  If I can get excited about moving to the next level in Candy Crush or finding a killer deal at Target, then I should be doing the same for them.  Success is about perspective.

They Are Talented
Talents come in all shapes and sizes, makes and models, and theirs shouldn't be underestimated.  Some talents are blatant and others take a bit of searching, but they are there.  Tap in to them.  They are the key to their learning.

They Know I Care
I've seen it in their eyes.  The way I can catch a fleeting glance my way when they're upset or when they pace next to me.   It's not always in the words that I say but just my presence.  They know that I will be there for as long as it takes.

They Are Sensitive
They may not be sensitive according to my definition, but they feel, too.  There feelings are real even if they're not displayed on their faces.  Sadness.  Anger.  Pride.  Loneliness. Fear.  Happiness.

We Want The Same Thing
They want to be valued, understood, and loved.

I know that I will continue to learn and continue to grow, and it's exciting to think about what else will come my way.  I'm curious to know what you have learned!

I wanted to leave you with this short vide.  While the statistic of autism prevalence is outdated, the video sends a beautiful message.


photo credit: balloons via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment