Image Map

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Book Of The Week: If I Were President

If I Were President by Catherine Steir

With the upcoming election, I've spent the last week heavily focusing on the election process.  We've implemented it in our language arts class with an emphasis on vocabulary, comparing/contrasting, and writing as well as in our math class.  On Tuesday, the students will get to participate in a school-wide voting process complete with ballots and booths.  I'm so excited for them to have this experience!  

This week's book of the week is a bit different.  There is a two-part FREEBIE in our TPT store for you!  The first part is a vocabulary activity that targets 12 vocabulary words in the form of the game "I have-who has..."
The second part is a writing activity with the prompt, "If I Were President..."  (I'm sure you wouldn't have guessed that!)  Included is a graphic organizer and paper for a final copy.
Some of the students needed a bit more scaffolding, so I provided a simple introductory sentence for them.  They really enjoyed this activity, and I equally enjoyed reading their ideas!  As long as they were able to give a (somewhat) reasonable reason, I went with it!

If you don't own the book, you can watch the video here!

No comments:

Post a Comment