Image Map

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Book of the Week: A Sick Day for Amos McGee



I'm a little biased when it comes to "A Sick Day for Amos McGee."   I love this story.  I love the illustrations.  I love the friendships that are portrayed.  I just couldn't wait to post about it.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Summary:
Everyday, Amos visits his friends at the zoo.  He plays chess with the elephant, runs races with the tortoise, sits with the penguin, lets the rhinoceros use his handkerchief, and reads stories to the owl.  One day, Amos doesn't visit, so the animals decide to pay Amos a visit.  

Vocabulary:
•   amble:  a slow and easy way of walking      
•   handkerchief: a small piece of cloth used to wipe your nose, eyes, or mouth
•   ache: a dull, mild pain that doesn’t stop
•   polish:  to make something smooth and shiny by rubbing
•   limber: to bend easily

Story Questions:
Have you ever been sick?  Who took care of you?
How did Amos travel to the zoo every day?
What did Amos do with the animals at the zoo?
What happened when Amos did not go to the zoo?
Why did the animals visit Amos at his house.
Are Amos and the animals friends?  How do you know that?
Do you think Amos is a good friend?  Why or why not?

Check out our FREEBIE and Language Pack on TpT.

No comments:

Post a Comment