Image Map

Sunday, August 31, 2014

WH Questions: Ask and Answer

This year, I am so, so, so lucky to continue to work with the ASD programs in our building.  I cannot express how much I enjoy working with this population.  Maybe it's the brilliant colleagues with whom I am able to collaborate.  Maybe it's the innocence and honesty of the students.  Maybe it's the way they always keep me on my toes.  Maybe it's the metacognitive process in which I constantly find myself.  Whatever it is, I am truly lucky.  In 11 years of being an SLP, I have never enjoyed a group of students so much.  Ok, enough.  I think you more than get the point!

One of the groups with whom I spend a considerable amount of time are the students who are more pragmatically challenged.   This particular group of students fit into Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking-Social Communication Profile as Challenged Social Communicators (CSC),and Significantly Challenged Social Communicators (SCSC).  Students who fall into the CSC group typically have difficulty attending in unstructured social situations but attend better in more structured social settings.  Students who fall in the SCSC group are often distracted, focusing on their thoughts and unaware of social demands.   In these two groups of students, autism is very visible; it's not subtle.  

During most sessions, I start our social skills session sitting in a circle as a group.  Students practice  formulating grammatically correct questions to show an interest in each other,  improve their language skills by asking and answering the questions, listening for responses, and practice using adequate eye-contact, while keeping in mind that these skills look different for each student.  I find that I am always scrambling to find questions to ask at the last minute, which is why I created this WH Questions: Ask and Answer pack.  It started out with just the ask and answer cards, but eventually became bigger than what I anticipated because I realized I could use it with more students than just in the social skills classes.


The first set of this activity pack includes eight receptive WH question prompts and eight expressive WH question prompts for each of the following; WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY, and HOW.    In essence, it includes 96 WH question cards.  The second activity includes 20 stimulus pictures with at least one WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY and HOW question for each picture.  The third activity includes 10 picture prompts to which students formulate one question for each of the WH question starters.  


This activity pack also works well for students working on articulation carry-over, making inferences, and problem solving.  We hope you find it helpful for you and your students!  You can check it out at our TpT store!



No comments:

Post a Comment